Huacaya alpaca fiber grows on the animal in a puffier look (compared to a 'Suri' Alpaca) and has more crimp. Baby Alpaca in the past has been very difficult for hand spinners to find at a reasonable price and in the form of combed top. Baby Alpaca has an approximate micron of 22.5, which is approximately 4 microns softer than Superfine Alpaca, which leads to a much softer yarn.
- Less than 20 microns (Royal Baby Alpaca) – pashmina-type scarves, vests
- 20 – 23 microns (Baby alpaca) – fine knitwear, lightweight worsted material
- 23 – 26 microns – (Super Fine) worsted outerwear – jackets, suits, medium weight knitting yarn
- 26 – 29 microns – knitting yarns, rugs, blankets, interior products
- >30 microns – bags, interior furnishings, carpets